RE: Re: Cradle Date

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:06:29 -0000

Roderick
>>Remember that the players won't necessarily (probably won't, in fact)
>>recognize their "earlier" selves because of the laws of
>>heroquesting. So the
>>first time through the get their asses handed to him by an
>>group of much
>>higher-powered tough guys. Later on, in a second running,
>>they kick the
>>asses of an under-powered group of tyros.

I can think of a few ways to handle that. First, and most obviously, would be to work some distinctive signature items/feats or what-have-you into the mix such that, even masked by the Heroquest's idiom, the relevant identities are pretty obvious. Second, would be to narrate the game in such a way that what was going on was obvious to the players but emphasise that this isn't something that the characters would know. Option three would be to frame the later, reversed iteration of the HQ as something that the characters intentionally set out to achieve once the full ramifications of the first HQ have sunk in - bonus twisted-GM points to be awarded if you can make it so that they win first time around and then volunteer to be on the losing side second time around. This last option would have the added advantage that you'd have a "winner's benefit" that could be gained in Act 1 and then lost to their 'earlier self' in Act 3 - like the protagonist's journal in 'By His Bootstraps'.

Definitely a challenge to pull off effectively, but one to keep in my kit-bag of advanced GMing ideas for if/when I get round to running a Glorantha game.

Regards
Luke