Re: Q&A Esrolia

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:18:48 +1300

Mikko Rintasaari.

>Is there any possibility to get more information on the War of the Sword
>and the Helm?

Jeff Richard summarized it in Enclosure #1. Since that's likely OOP, I'll quote it.

         The Sword and Helm Saga is the climactic disaster of the
         Vingkotlings.  It is so famous that even distant tribes
         know of it and have some version of its tragedy.

         King Rastagar is the center and instigator of the doom of
         the Vingkotlings.  He lived when the Gods were failing to
         help their worshippers* and the king relied so little on
         them that he might have been an atheist.  His entire life
         was spent fighting against trolls and chaos, and even without
         the gods he was successful at it.

         His pride grew until he demanded sex with the wife of a
         loyal housecarl.  She resisted, which lead to murder and
         rape.  The king's own kin broke into factions.  The two
         accoutrements of the king were separated, weakening the
         king seriously.  Foul deeds were down to bring the Sword
         and Helm back together.  Families and allies were summoned
         to help, and soon all the Vingkotlings were engaged in a
         savage struggle.  Some of them turned to dragons, trolls
         or even chaos for help, worsening everything.

         Forces connived, betrayed and convulsed upon themselves and
         came together at the Last Royal Betrayal.  Battle was met,
         sword to shield, brother against brother, blood against
         poison.  Nearly everybody was slain, and the Sword and Helm
         was taken by a father and son who slinked of the field and
         never used them properly again**

         The best poem about this ends with a soliloquy by Jornafor
         the poet who describes the field of the slain, and then
         narrates the destruction of the world as the sky breaks
         and falls, black flames sweep the earth and the dead rise
         once again to fight chaos, and once again fall.
                                 p19, Enclosure #1

*most versions of the poem suggest that Orlanth had already   commenced the Lightbringers' Quest, placing the Sword and   Helm saga during the Greater Darkness.

**Some of these victims of the Last Royal Betrayal afterwards

   achieve immortality as the Immortal Royal Guardians of the    Heortling Kings.

>Was the war fought over the battlegear of Vingot? I'd really need to
>know what the saga is about, since it's obviously an important part of
>Esrolias history and identity.

It's not really. All the average Esrolian needs to know is that the Men destroyed themselves in a stupid war and the women took over.

>Also who is Ovodaka, that was struck down by Babeester Gor?

 From November's myth of the Month, Ovadaka is the last guardian who held all the other goddesses prisoner.

--Peter Metcalfe