Re: Re: Other Chieftain Gods

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:44:34 GMT

In message <20050315104829.11117.qmail_at_...> Ian Cooper writes:

> But generally a clan's magic is stronger
>through doing things the way we always have, using the
>same ring as our ancestors did. As a result I am sure
>it is harder to become chief if it involves changing
>our traditions.

Yes, but each clan has it's own traditions and lawspeakers who can find a preceedent for just about anything if politics demands it. So when the Lunars outlaw the worship of Orlanth some clans break tradition to choose an Elmali chief and rely on the myth of "Elmal defends the stead" to keep things working. Note I say "some clans" and there will no doubt be arguments both within the clan and with other clans about the correctness of the decision. Does the clan magic suffer? maybe, maybe not. Even if it does the clan may suffer less than having a regiment of Lunars stamping all over them.

>As for requirements for the chieftaincy. Not everyone
>goes on the LBQ during sacred time, although everyone
>participates in sacred time. Again YGMV, but in mine
>participation in the LBQ is a requirement for
>candidates for the chieftaincy and that means you need
>to do the LBQ in Sacred Time. That, IMG, restricts the
>candidate list for the chieftaincy.

I'm not at all convinced that the LBQ is performed by each clan every sacred time. A simple version may commonly be but the full thing is performed by a few people in a generation. Another example of conflicting sources.

>Sure KoS could be misleading, and sure you should play
>it your way, I'm just commenting on how I choose to
>interpret and play it. For my game it works that not
>everyone can be chief, for yours you might want anyone
>to be chief. After all we are trying to play a game
>using the Gloranthan background, rather than define
>'truth'.

It is generally agreed that parts of KoS are biased, inaccurate and misleading - it's not even internally consistant. Which is one reason arguments based on it are off topic here. Unfortunatly your messages gave the impression that yours was the correct interpretation and that all clans followed these rules strictly. The former discourages newcomers from Glorantha and the latter is contradicted by just about every Issaries publication on the Heortlings which emphasise the variations between clans.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/