RE: Re: "Vanilla" ???

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:13:02 -0000

> I guess that'd have to be an Americanism then.

After a bit of hunting both hard-copy and on-line dictionaries, yes, it is. I've tracked it as far back as the early 1990s, and it seems to have mainly spread as a bit of computing jargon. So us hackers use it, and presumably you biologists don't - or rather, know the Real meaning, so keep to that.

I never knew vanilla came from an orchid. I thought it came from a bottle labelled "vanilla extract". And as a supposed cook, I should be ashamed of myself :(