RE: Re: "Vanilla" ???

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:58:45 -0000

> > > I guess that'd have to be an Americanism then.
> >
> > After a bit of hunting both hard-copy and on-line
> dictionaries, yes,
> > it is. I've tracked it as far back as the early 1990s,...
>
> I thought it dated back a bit further than that.

Quite possibly - this was a quick Google, not serious research.

> And as for
> usage, I've mostly heard it used in relation to one's sexual
> preferences--that is, if you like your sex without a lot of
> kink, you like "vanilla sex."

Well, well, well...

And to think that originally it was an exotic and exciting flavour! (Cocacola seem to think it still is, unfortunately).

Dragging this vaguely back to Glorantha - is there anything around that would similarly be wildly exotic to one culture, and proverbially boring to another? Could make for interesting cultural clashes. Fish near the coast and away from the coast, I suppose? Is there anywhere so rich they can say "oh, just gold plates, how boring"?