Re: Initiate to Humakt *and* Initiate to Orlanth?Doable?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:39:26 -0500

Santo_at_... wrote:

> Hi.
>
> One of my potential PC's was thinking of a character who was once an
> Initiate of Orlanth Thunderous, but joined the cult of Humakt to
> escape something he did in his past 'life'.
>
> The story he came up with, with my help (he's a Glorantha newbie) is
> that a Lunar Priest inflicted his half-brother with Madness, and said
> half-brother began to attack his own men. The PC, not knowing what
> happened to his half-sibling, killed him in self-defense. When he
> realized what had happened, he severed his old name and life and
> joined the cult of Humakt, hopefully avoiding curse of Kinstrife.
>
> Anyways, I was going over this in my head, and I'm sure if this
> actually makes sense. The PC wants to be an Initiate to Orlanth
> Thunderous and the Humakt. I'm not opposed to dual-initiation in my
> game, but considering that Humakt cut away his ties to the Storm
> Tribe to purify himself, I'm unsure whether the Cult of Humakt would
> accept someone who still follows the ways of the Storm.
>
> If the Wise Savants on the list can give me any advice, I'd be
> helpful. I don't mind telling the player that Humakt won't tolerate
> his followers worshipping any other God but him, but I'd like to hear
> what people on the list think. Also, what's the Heortling position
> on Kinstrife when the individual killed was possessed or maddened?
>
> -Santo

While not a wise savant, I suspect that there's no reason one can't be an initiate of both. But I'd counsel waiting for Thunder Rebels (VERY soon) as there might be some subcults of Orlanth that could appeal to his tastes. But its not an uncommon thing to make such decisions

Some folks feel that Humakt is 'all or nothing' but I note that one of the geases for Humakt in the HW:RiG 'never initiate to another god' which implies that Humakt/Other Cult initiation is not uncommon. My own opinion would be to allow it -- it certainly might make for an interesting game. Other Humakti may sneer at him and Orlanthi look at him askance. The poor fellow gets the worst of both worlds (and the best, of course)

To be honest, I would say that it depends on how strongly YOU feel that Humakt is or is not involved with the affairs of the other Storm Tribe members.

Kinstrife is Kinstrife. There are no extenuating circumstances (that I am aware of). It is a terrible tragedy and can only be expiated by outlawry or vast outporings of grief, woe and sacrifice. BUT he's given himself effectively outlawry -- or at least left the Old Arrangement. I'd say in HIS case he's likely not an Orlanthi -- for his own sake and safety.

Hope this helps, though I suspect it doesn't.

Jeff