RE: Re: "Vanilla" ???

From: Madeleine Eid <eid_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:03:16 +0000

Well I knew it came from a pod from a tropical plant having used vanilla pods in cookery before (as well as vanilla extract from bottles) but I didn't know it was an orchid.

My other familiarity with vanilla is from certain dietary requirements prior to doing a particular test as vanilla is biochemically similar enough to interfere with the test results (as in a list of foods as long as my arm to abstain from during and the week before starting the test). Banana is one of the foods - which is why I knew vanilla was a tropical plant - apparently, one of the compounds it contains is vanillin (the 'active' bit of vanilla).

TTFN Maddy