LM Prophecy

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:25:02 -0800

Light Castle wrote:

> Yeah, I tend to use Prophecy as a narrator device. I would do so even in the case of Kev
> the Visionary devotees. But it seems an odd omission to me for LM to not have
> prophecy more directly mentioned.

Maybe the LM types use Roman-style augury? That is, they don't rely on a person having visions or revelations; rather, their prophecy is based on being able to look at natural phenomena and know what those things represent. That seems very LM-ish to me, since you aren't relying on anything as haphazard as a vision, but rather on an existing body of knowledge that could be used by anyone who puts in the time to master it. You don't need to be specially favored by the ancestors; instead, you just do the reading, and you know that when an eagle flies to the *left* of the fyrd before the battle, that's a bad omen and you should fight cautiously, but if it flies to the *right*, the fight will go your way.