Re: Assassins

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:29:57 -0500

On 20 Mar 2005 at 10:13, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> The Blacks hunt down criminals because they are worshippers of
> Danfive Xaron. Nobody knows what the Blues are interested in
> because people that know too much about them get unremembered.
> As for the Nathics, they are sent against anybody - they are not a
> organized bureau but a breed of Dart Assassins.

Huh. So the Nathics are a breed of Dart Assassin. OK. I still like the idea of the Reds taking out external threats, but this hardly rules that out. (It just doesn't make it the reason of their existence.)

> >So the Blue Moon Asssassins eliminate that failed Provincial Overseer,
> >or some major player at court moving to seize more power.
>
> The Blues are unlikely to assassinate anybody for such vulgar
> reasons. Their aims are possibly to preserve the power of the
> Red Moon. General RoanUr, for example, would not be targeted
> by the Blue Moon because his sickening atrocities do nothing
> to impede the power of the Red Moon. A scholar that investigated
> the myths of Emperor Lukarius in shooting down the Red Moon
> would be targeted because his researches, if successful, will
> lead to a new downfall.

Now that I can get behind. Knowledge or power that impedes the Red Moon in her glory is the province of the Blue Moon assassins. But no one really knows that, and no one knows what they know about what you know that makes them know you know too much. :-)

> Not even for a twisted version of honor? "Waah! He slighted my
> weapon skills, so to perserve my honor, I'm going to stab him
> in the back".

Actually, I would see it more as honor in the form of "We have sworn an oath to eliminate him. We will see it done or die trying. If we do not die trying, we expect to be hunted down by our brothers in Humakt."

That kind of twisted honor would work for me for something like this.

> >Given that he exists in some form as far west as Carmania, is he floating
> >around the
> >Empire? He's not Lunar, but is he a Death God in much of the Empire?
>
> Given that Yanafal Tarnils was a Humakti, the answer is yes.

Well there you go. I didn't know that. I do see that Hum'akt, as mentioned in ILH-1, has Combat, Death, and Battle as his three affinities. So obviously while the Sartarite (and perhaps all Orlanthi) version of Humakt has Death and Honor as core, other possibilities exist.

All good to know.

Thanks,
LC