RE: Assassins

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:48:03 -0000

??:
> >PS. Personally I'm not fond of the idea that the empire has half a
> >dozen compeating "intelligence organizations". This sounds
> very modern
> >to me, and not in the spirit of Glorantha (or our history
> either) as I
> >understand it.

Peter Metcalfe:
> Intelligence organizations go a long way back. The Mauryas
> of India had a secret police organization, Hadrian had
> _frumentarii_ who went around digging up dirt on important
> romans while the Byzantines had a "Bureau of Barbarians".
> They are simply an organized version of informers and
> undercover agents.

Try reading the Lindsay Davis books for an example of a Roman private detective/undercover agent/spy who seems to spend a lot of his time competing with the agents of other Roman organisations. Great inspirational background for both "bottom-up" detail of lower-class Roman/Lunar atmosphere, and for games set in that sort of environment.