Re: Initiate to Humakt *and* Initiate to Orlanth?Doable?

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:07:48 EST

Jeff Kyer:

<< > Anyways, I was going over this in my head, and I'm sure if this
> actually makes sense. The PC wants to be an Initiate to Orlanth
> Thunderous and the Humakt. I'm not opposed to dual-initiation in my
> game, but considering that Humakt cut away his ties to the Storm
> Tribe to purify himself, I'm unsure whether the Cult of Humakt would
> accept someone who still follows the ways of the Storm.
>
> If the Wise Savants on the list can give me any advice, I'd be
> helpful. I don't mind telling the player that Humakt won't tolerate
> his followers worshipping any other God but him, but I'd like to hear
> what people on the list think.

 While not a wise savant, I suspect that there's no reason one can't be an initiate of both. But I'd counsel waiting for Thunder Rebels (VERY soon) as there might be some subcults of Orlanth that could appeal to his tastes. But its not an uncommon thing to make such decisions

 Some folks feel that Humakt is 'all or nothing' but I note that one of the geases for Humakt in the HW:RiG 'never initiate to another god' which implies that Humakt/Other Cult initiation is not uncommon. >>

      The most up to date version of the HW cult of Humakt I've seen seems to be somewhat contradictory on this matter, as it both implies Humakt is 'all or nothing' *and* retains the geas in question. Personally, I'd allow the dual initiation on the grounds it makes things more interesting, and also because, as you say, it would make the geas pointless otherwise and I can't be arsed to make up a new gift/geas table :-)

     But, of course, the version I've seen may not be the final one! Or the 'all or nothing' implication may be misleading, of course.

Trotsky