Re: Orlanthi gods in the Lunar Empire

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:49:53 +0000

>I've often wondered about how common worship of many of the Orlanthi
>gods is in formerly Orlanthi lands in the Empire. Orlanth himself is
>certainly outlawed, but what about gods like Lhankor Mhy and
>Issaries? the only ones I can remember offhand being mentioned in
>the homelands section are Barntar and Odayla, but what about the
>others?

The Ernaldan Earth pantheon seems to be accepted, and continues to be worshipped.

With regard to Lhankhor Mhy and Issaries I would have thought that either the established Solar Gods (Buserian and Lokarnos) or the Lunar equivalents (Irippi Ontor and Etyries) would have had far wider acceptance. Not only are there political advantages in belonging to cults more involved with the Empire, but the cults and their magic should be better oriented to the more civilised setting. Generally speaking I would view both Issaries and Lhankhor Mhy as largely redundant within the Empire and only commonly worshipped in recently conquered lands. Issaries ought to survive where there is significant trade with Orlanthi people outside the Empire.

Yinkin might be worshipped in lands where alynxes are found - especially where they have a place in human life.

I'm not sure how Chalana Arroy relates to Erissa - they might be accepted as different names for the same Goddess.

Elmal and Heler should be acceptable

Eurmal is probably widely unacceptable just for being Eurmal.

Humakt is being discussed already.

Urox is unacceptable because of his violence and hatred of Chaos. Without clear place in the Empire (as Shargash has) such Gods are unwelcome.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.