Re: Carmanian Humakt

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:09:45 -0500

On 21 Mar 2005 at 19:54, Mark Galeotti wrote:

> I'm a little surprised that the absence of an Honour affinity is
> being taken to mean that the Carmanian Humakt is a ruthless bastard.

I don't think it has to be. But Mikko was specifically asking for dark, evil, Humakt heretic to mess with his PC humakti. (Unless I misread him.) So we're looking at ways to do that. (After all, this is the list for hammering out game-based questions, not just esoterica, yes?)

> It's worth mentioning that no other Orlanthi deities have such an
> affinity, and that doesn't seem to be being taken as evidence that
> they are a shifty bunch of backstabbling thugs...!* Indeed, I'd add
> that Carmanians have honourable as part of their basic keyword.

All very true.

> The Carmanian Humakt is death as avenger, death as enforcer of fate
> and divine rule, death as a way of life. As such, he is in some ways
> IMO more human that the Orlanthi Humakt who, with his emphasis on
> severing of social ties, is rather more alien. The Carmanian Humakt
> is an outsider the way most career death-dealers and avengers are
> but not necessarily as such a personal choice. That's why I wrote up
> Grim Heresis in The Thieves' Arm the way I did: to show that even a
> Humakti has a chance at redemption, at rekindling a humanity which
> may simply have been once-drowned by blood, horror and grief.

I like this description. In that case, I can assume that Humakt in your view was never the primary Carmanian war god? This seems a much more personalized version.

> That picture on p15 of HW is some evil, freaky cultist, not a
> Carmanian Humakt. To me, the Carmanian Humakti is The Man With No
> Name. He is an outsider, and he does not fit within society, but he
> wields death ultimately in ways which will benefit society (even if
> everyone then breathes a sigh of relief when he moves on).

If I was going to play a Carmanian Humakt, I'd certainly lean to something like this. Mind you, I think you can make an argument for this intepretation for someone playing an Orlanthi humakti as well.

Again, I think we're trying to find the evil humakti for Mikko's game, not for GAG.

(I really like your version for explaining YA. After all, creating the Red Goddess was certainly "wielding ultimately in a way which benefited society".)

LC