Re: Issaries Fan Policy

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:08:02 -0800

Trotsky

>from my reading of the document, any web-page that you may be
>considering posting to your site (or any significant changes to an
>existing web-page that you already have), must be submitted to Issaries
>for approval, who then have the right to bar you from posting it.

2.E says that if it follows the guidelines, "it need not be submitted for approval." 3.A.1 says you have to make Issaries aware of the site. The informal license for many sites is granted in 3.A.1 (though perhaps Appendix A will modify this).

Nils responding to Charles

> >I just took a brief scan of the document and did not find anything
> >too onerous... (yet!) However, some might object to the automatic
> >right of Issaries to re-publish any fan material, though I suspect
> >that most people would be delighted at this prospect (as long as it
> >is acknowledged.
>
>I guess it is this paragraph:
>
>"ISSARIES reserves the right to consider any fan submission as a
>submission to ISSARIES for publication, and to
>provide an initial response based on that assumption, at its sole
>discretion."
>
>I think that "provide an initial response" means that Issaries
>will ask the submitter first. That's just my interpretation though.

This sounds like it means they consider anything you publish is essentially simultaneously submitted to Issaries. If they like it, their first response is probably a request for minor edits, and a publishing offer. I don't think they are in the habit of publishing without
compensation (though game industry rates are very low).

This is different from the Concept Use statement, which for example would mean that if Martin Laurie publishes stories of Onslaught, the iron-toothed homicidal Humakti, Issaries could put Onslaught, the iron-toothed homicidal Humakti in a scenario. This does not mean they could simply republish his story (see the first paragraph of 3).

Stephen

>"The following are examples of the liberties that ISSARIES generally
>allows in these circumstances
>· Wholly Original Material that reports details of a campaign, scenario
>run, or other use of published materials to explore or play Glorantha."
>
>"Generally allows" implies to me that they believe that they have the
>right to disallow it. I am not a lawyer, but I'd be _really_ surprised
>if "Wholly original material" could be disallowed by ISSARIES.

I suspect they might be inclined to come after you if you decide to report on your "Glorantha Campaign of Child-Raping Torturers in Squeamish Detail." This could easily be construed as harming the brand.

--

David Dunham