War In Sartar

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:16:59 -0000

John Hughes:

>This is the accepted view, and I've defended it vigourously myself,
but
>after some questioning from (I think) Ian Cooper, I've started to dig
>a bit deeper. (BAD Ian, bad).

Not sure who started it, but I've come to see asking you questions as my role.
Other people contribute to Gloranthan knowledge by creating stuff. Me, I just ask them questions :)

>Selective use of terror seems a deliberate tool of the Lunars to
demonstrate
>their mastery and give example to the clans... Of course the Lunars
are subtle, and can defeat a clan >with gifts as often as with swords.They're extremely generous to friends and converts.

"Speak softly but carry a big stick". Allies are rewarded, enemies are punished. I think the question here is: Are the LUnars actively waging a Hearts and Minds campaign in Sartar?

In urban areas I suspect that 'Civilised' Orlanthi are more likely to be attracted to replacing the Lightbringers with the Mothers. Their way of life is that one step removed from the close kinship relations of the clan towards the individualism of the lunar way, town dwellers are probalably exposed to a greate variety of influences, more cosmopolitan, more progressive, and I suspect easier targets for peaceful conversion. Many of the Tarshites likely to be working for the Imperials in Sartar will be an example and an enticement to adopting lunar civilisation. It may well be 'urban chic' to be Lunar. The lunars, from urban centeres themselves would probably not want to live 'in country' and will certainly cluster in urban Sartar.

In the hinterlands the picture is probably far more mixed. Some clans will see wealth and proseprity in the Lunar way and embrace it, others will reject it in philosophical grounds. In the same way that in modern CI warfare, special forces troops live among and train the 'freindlies' So I suspect lunar 'advisors' may well be present to advise the rings of pro-lunar clans. Many of these lunar special forces types will be drawn from the converted hill tribesmen of the provinces. They are more capable of living in these conditions and understanding these people. They will probalaly lead these 'freindlies' in attempts to supress 'hostiles'. For many of the clansfolk, this war against your neighbours will not be a new way of life. Undr Temeretain they will retgard themselves as loyal Sartarites as much as the rebels who they are fighting do. Much of the lunar activity may well be in the form of such advisers and their native converts. Missionaries may well visit more neutral tribes, and those ,missionaries may well be converted Tarshites or even Sartarites proclaiming 'look what the Lunars have done for us'.

Rebel groups presumably try to counterprotelise against the lunars, and push a new Sartar under their appropriate figurehead. Again they may well work with clan animosity - the no good xxxx's have turned to Shepelkirt, come on let's steal their cattle etc. Both sides may well try to manipulate traditional clan animosity to their advantage. I'm sure that one of the problems the rebellion encounters is that many sartarite clans do not regard it as their rebellion, but their enemies...

>Some questions and comments. It seems we're talking classical
guerilla
>warfare here, right?

Yes. There are a copies of Che Guevara's guerrila warfare advice on the WWW. Makes interesting reading.

>But surely the Lunars have dealt with guerilla warfare before? Don't
they
>have their own tactics and special units for counter-warfare, based
on
>experience in other regions? And rather than regular cavalry and
infantry
>units (both next to useless in the hills) wouldn't these be small,
highly
>trained, irregular units assisted by Sartarite traitors/Lunar
sympathisers?
>In other words, Lunar Hero bands?

Yes, I think that for CI you would use special forces and locally raised units, only bringing in the regiments when there was a big stand up battle in the offing. However referring to my earlier post, the LUnars would be ill-advised not to make sure that the urban centres where they reside become isolated. Patrolling and garrisoning the roads could be crucial. Of course in total numbers terms it is probably not that significant a proportion of the army and they will undoubtedly be auxiliaries. I don't think that there are the sort of forts on Hadrian's wall with a cohort (500-600) troops, but small outposts keeppingthe roads free of bandits. Mercenaries and locally raised clansmen would probably serve these roles better than regulars.

Ian