Re: Issaries Fan Policy

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:48:22 -0000

> Unfortunately, there is already legal precidence for this. The
late
> Marion Zimmer Bradley had to defend her ownership of Darkover
based
> on several fan-pubs which were remarkably similar to some works
she
> later did. The "fans" then sued her for damages/income.

My point exactly.

I know that the intrusion of the legal world into the Gloranthan fan community is about as welcome as a broo infestation in Sacred Time, but the fact is that Issaries MUST establish a protocol governing fan material if it is to have any chance of defeating such claims without bankrupting itself in the process. This is the stark reality of intellectual property claims - they are extremely expensive and in many cases, you can lose even by winning in court.

Jeff