Re: Example of why fan material policies are a legal necessity

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:37:51 -0000

> Which is mostly speculation based on a single letter by MZB. If
> anything it indicates that US copyright law is sufficently unclear
> that a speculative case is sufficent for a publisher to lose
> interest in a book.

Which is enough for protracted litigation over the issue. Hence the desire for clear and explicit fan material guidelines.

>Furthermore
> from the point of view of anyone not resident in the US signing
> a licence agreement would probably bring them into the jurisdiction
> of the US courts whereas not signing it would mean Issaries having
> to deal with the courts in the fan writer's country.

Although that probably isn't the case (a US court would have jurisdiction over such a suit - for instance, I've sued British intellectual property infringers in a Washington state court and got the order enforced in the UK), that does raise the cost of litigation and hence increases the desirability of having a fan material policy like that promulgated by Issaries.

Jeff