Re: Re: Gloranthan Fiction

From: Manuel MOLINIER <astaroth.maillist_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:11:17 +0100

Maybe we should just ask/wait for a clear explanation to be made as what can and cannot be done. Not to include the big issues introduced by internet and possibility of different rights to apply (exemple if my writings are made in France, hosted in Malaysia or Russia and accessible all over the world). The biggest question is :
Will it not do more harm (as more and more people type the name of the RPG in google before buying something. at least I do that. Fewer fan mean fewer advertisement too.) by limiting the fan publications that support the game, than the problem it's supposed to solve. I imagine that Issaries as taken this in account and will clarify the interpretations issues.

Manuel

  janewilliams20_at_... wrote:

> Paul Andrew King
>
> > The good news is that I'm pretty sure that it
> > doesn't matter for fan
> > websites, so long as the rules for the Informal
> > License are met.
> > Unless Appendix A says something different, fan
> > websites have very
> > few restrictions - and none of them say that
> > Derivative Material is
> > treated any different from Original Material.
>
> But as far as I can see the section that says
> "The types of use that are considered to incorporate
> or make derivative use of Proprietary
> Material include, but are not limited to:...
>
> ....To substantially expand previous Proprietary
> Material (such as a description of a person, place,
> creature, entity, event, or object)."
>
> doesn't say or imply "except if it's on a web site"
> does it? Nor can I see any reason why it should - if
> this is a danger of causing copyright problems, then
> the means of publication hardly matters. If this is a
> reasonable limit to impose, then fine, it needs
> imposing, not sneaking around.

  This is a "yes, but". Yes, the definition of "Derivative Material" does not rely on the publishing medium. But, the Informal License - as I read it - gives you permission to publish Derivative Material. And the Informal License requires no prior approval. (Strictly speaking if you wanted to publish original material - by the legal definition - you don't need a license at all.)

  (I will admit that I am confident rather than absolutely certain of my reading - and I have asked that this particular point is made explicit)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor