Re: Sydney Glorantha

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:49:47 +1100

Ah, I see David has acclimatised to his new Aussie home:

 >G'day,

Don't move your lips, David. We don't want to let the flies in. 'Gedddoiii" :)

 >I've set up a yahoogroup for Gloranthaphiles in Sydney who might
>want to meet up at pubs and discuss Fan Publication Policies and
>suchlike.

Lovely, errr, bewdy Being just down the road in Australian terms - about three hours by car - I certainly look forward to joining a social afternoon or evening in the not too distant future, in a pub of David's choosing.

>(Who's hoping he's not one of those "sh*theads" and wondering if he
>needs to licence a yahoogroup...)

It seems that feelings are running deep on all sides, if indeed there are sides. No one is disputing the need for Issaries to protect its intellectual property. However, there are quite legitimate concerns about the policy, its enforcibility, its intention, its treatment of authors and submissions, its effect on sustaining a wider support community, and its practical (as opposed to theoretical/legal) implementation, all of which have been raised by the consulted parties since the very beginning. While I certainly respect and have trust in Jeff and RR's 'semi-official' explanations'and defences, I'd very much value some sort of explanatory statement, with examples, from Issaries itself. Much of the present confusion would certainly have been abated if such had been released at the same time as the legalese. I'm very much looking forward to document Jeff is preparing, the 'FP for Dummies': I just hope it includes a section of author's rights.

We all want Glorantha to be strong, to endure and to grow. I hope everyone has a great Easter/Passover/solstice/, and that we return to next week's sniping refreshed and relaxed.

Cheers

John