Re: Humakt and the Ducks

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:31:01 +1300

Reiner:

>He
>subsequently indentured himself to the ducks to make up for the
>clan's dishonor, and gained a Duck Sword Lord (or whatever they're
>called now) as a mentor.

Apparently they are "Deathdwakes".

>Does this sequence of events have any
>serious flaws as far as Gloranthan Duck culture/history is concerned?

The only flaw that I can possibly think of is that the ducks are "rather argumentative, bullying little rascals, tempered only by their innate cowardice." (Elder Secrets p82). IMO Deathdrakes are swaggering arrogant bullies when it looks like there isn't going to be a fight. In the midst of battle, their mettle shows through and Humakti may find their tactics unseemly.

A deathdrake would see nothing wrong in playing dead and then stabbing the opponent in the stomach when he gloats over the apparent corpse. Their favourite tactic is to rattle their sabres and squawk encouragement at their (preferably human) troops from the rear. Their attitude is that of the players who managed to get the alchemy rules dropped from RQ3 because they were always putting blade venom 20 on their bolts.

There's nothing wrong with your hero having a deathdrake as a mentor. IMO he should find out slowly and by degrees just how different deathdrakes are to the normal humakti. For starters, the hero should be sent on tasks to visit humakt's vengeance on those who has strayed from his path. He will find out that their actual crime was to slight his deathdrake's honour.

--Peter Metcalfe