RE: Re: The Telmori & 1607 Extermination of the Maboder

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:48:40 -0000

> The Telmori have taken our land and taken our women. Without
> the house of Sartar to control them the tribes know the
> Telmori will rise again. Best to stamp on them first. So I
> believe trouble starts when the tribes begin pre-emptively to
> kill Telmori. The parallel I'm looking at here is the way in
> our own world that ethnic tensions can come to the fore when
> central authority that has previously held them in check collapses.

I'd agree with that.

> Kallyr is in
> the Culbrea lands bordering the Telmori at this time. She is
> a member of the house of Sartar.
> The Telmori are very loyal to the royal house. Now I'm not
> implying that Kallyr gor involved in genocide or anything,
> I'm just sayin' that she is there is all...

Hmmm. Let me check. Personally I'm quite sure she was involved in the Telmori v. Lunar fight, on the grounds that it involves fighting the Lunars and losing :) But while I think she'd help defend the Telmori aganst the Lunars (the Royal House have oaths to them as well as the other way round) I'm not convinced she'd help them in the initial attack on the Maboder. And there's got to be *something* she doesn't get involved in!

OiD. 1607. "Joins the Fourstar battle band. Joins in the Righteous Wind Movement..." generally does stuff up north. "...encourages resistance among the Culbrea tribe." And remember she's only 21, so don't attach too much importance to her at this stage. She's just another PC type, running round adventuring, causing trouble, and being a pain in the rear to their more responsible elders and betters. Speaking of whom....

A quick look at the Sartar High Council scenario in Wyrms Footprints suggests that Hofstaring Treeleaper (the Culbrea king at this point, famous hero, and all-round very influential person) is by 1613 "very distrustful of Telmori intentions..." was he so before 1607, or did the events then make him so?

Two areas to think about:
1) the fight between Telmori and Maboder 2) the fight between Telmori and Lunars

People may well have swapped sides in between, or only joined in for Part 2. And KoS gives next to no idea of specifics for either fight, so you're free to make it up (well, you were anyway, of course, but you know what I mean!)

Oh, here's a snippet from the Sartar High Council scenario for you. Hofstaring. "He does have conditions... That possession of the hill [of Orlanth Victorious] be freely given back to his people. Many years earlier, in the same war which destroyed the Maboder tribe, the wolf-people claimed as [sic] being within their own hunting territory...."

Now that gives me ideas, which Rob would probably prefer me not to voice on-list in front of his players. But the more I look at this, the more it looks like a fun date to game in!