concentrating common magic? Why?

From: Nicholas Pagnucco <npagnucco_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:15:04 -0800 (PST)

I have a rather random question:

Why would a player character concentrate common magic?  I know its a rules option, but I don't really get it.

>From a rules point of view, your character is
'supposed' to become an initiate (or equivalence in the other types of magic), if not something more advanced. Concentrating common magic, even with the I am Not a Rock ritual, seems very... limited. Would any player, other than those who like a challenge / being masochistic to their character do this, and if so, why?

Also, I don't see why a character would 'in-character' do such a thing. Unless you are from a culture with no magic keywork, it would seem to me that concentrating common magic would be an act of actively turning your back on your divinity (however its defined). Would any character, except maybe those from God Forgot, ever want to do this, if so, why?

This isn't quite a rules question, and it didn't seem 'philosophical' enough for the digest. I'm new around here, so if this was supposed to go somewhere else, let me know. Thanks.

Nicholas Pagnucco
University at Albany, SUNY
Sociology Department

Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/