Re: Concentrating Common Magic

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:19:50 +0000

Nicholas Pagnucco:

> Would
>any player, other than those who like a challenge /
>being masochistic to their character do this, and if
>so, why?

One of the players in my current group has done so, and I don't *think* he's a masochist, so I can only assume the answer to the first part is 'yes' :). However, it may be worth noting that, in his case, the common religion in question is Dormal. From the character's perspective, then, Dormal is his god, so he's not turning his back on his religion by concentrating in this manner.(Rule mechanically, of course, it allows him to use his spells directly, rather than as augments, which has proved useful on a number of occasions. But, as Greg is fond of pointing out, Gloranthans haven't read the rulebook!)

I suspect that, in many cases, that is key to the answer. A common magician concentrating his magic is, typically, concentrating their magical strength on a part of their religion. Flesh Man, Dormal, the cult of the Seven Mothers, Innocent & Guilty Magic, and all the rest are, from a Gloranthan perspective, as much a part of their respective religions as Lhankor Mhy, Yara Aranis, Yu-Kargzant, or whomever. By concentrating on a common religion, a person is no more abandoning the latter gods/spirits/whatever than a devotee is abandoning all gods but his own. Which is to say, yeah, kinda, somewhat, but devotees do exist, so why shouldn't concentrated common magicians?

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic