RE: Help with the River

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:47:14 -0000

> Involved in a practice Quest, my players have to do a sort of
> pilgrimage along the ancient current of the
> Creek-Stream-River (from Karse to Pharaoh's Marsh and then
> they have to follow the flow of the Creek-Stream-River to the Stream).
>
> I would like to run one or two sesions about the travel from
> Karse to the Creek-Stream-River on the ancient current. And I
> have to start... er... tomorrow.
>
> Do you know what are the places they have to visit? I'm not
> sure about the ancient current. And any idea about the
> dangers and adventures that I could make up or improvise?

Do you have "Dragon Pass"? That would at least sort the journey from the Pharoah's Marsh to the Stream.

But the "ancient current" - hmm. There's a bit in KoS that describes the trip from Karse upstream, set in the EWF period "probably about 700 or so". Is that what you're thinking of?

Locations (only the biggest being mentioned) in order:

Karse, "the decadent".

Jisteel "where the troll guard station is". That's on the DP map, and described there.

Anjoralini, on the left bank, only 1/2 mile from the Shadow Plateau, and hence with an early sunset. I can't find that on the DP map, but on looking up the Lead Hills, I find it's underneath them.

Bonn Karpach, the first city of the Wyrmfriends - and that's on the DP map again, north of the Pharoah's Marsh. According to the KoS writeup, there were no guards/customs because a huge dragon lay underwater checking for enemies who sailed over its head.

Voss Varainu - on the DP map again.

Olorost, where the Stream joins the River - now at the start of the Upland Marsh. Yep, in DP (this is getting repetitive, isn't it? I do hope you've got DP).

And there you are. Next city would be in the middle of the Upland Marsh these days, so it's a good job you stop there :)

Dangers and adventures? Trolls on the first part of the trip. Beast Valley on the second part.