re: Oaths (was: Plain Sartarite/English)

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:37:01 -0500

Mikko Rintasaari:

<snip>

> When the fifteen-year-old faced the dragon guardian of the Raven Banner
> (a somewhat birdlike dream-dragon, with black feathers) the dragon was
> amused and asked something like:

> "And if I don't give up the banner, you'll do what exactly?"

> Gerlef ansvered: "First I'll blind you, then I'll cripple you, and only
> after you ask me, will I grant you the release of Death"

<snip>

> To cut a long story short, very much against my expectations he then
> proceeded to do exactly what he had promised.

And a great story it makes too! I hope a Bard witnessed it. <note to self, remember to take a Bard follower>

A narrator in this situation does have the opportunity to be nasty ...

> The Dragon spat "try it!"

Suppose the dragon hadn't said anything that could be taken as 'asking for death'. Strictly, Gerlef can't kill it, maybe shouldn't even do anything that risks killing it. Suppose the dragon flees, and later appears as an Undead ... Gerlef is in a classic bind of having to break one of two oaths.

Andrew