Re: Chaos Cults

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:51:06 -0600

>From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>

>It may be hard or impossible to neatly pigeonhole Bagog into "god or spirit
>or essence". (What if a Bagogi devours a theist and gains his magic?)

There seem to be a number of beings that are hard to classify. Classifications of beings have to do with which otherworld they come from. Often the underworld (from what little I've heard about it) is associated with one or more or the otherworlds, but I think it might be an otherworld all it's own. Put another way, the method of worship required to get magic from these beings might be specific to their otherworld, the underworld.

The four current types of magic (animism, theism, wizardry, common magic) are not the only sorts. We know that mysticism also exists, for instance. Couldn't it be that there's a specific form of magic, call it Chaos Magic that's associated with the underworld otherworld? As opposed to the god world, the spirit world, the essence world, or the mundane world? A form of magic that just hasn't been enumerated yet, and is waiting for somebody to write up?

Mike