Re: Orlanthi gods in the Lunar Empire

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:38:58 GMT

In message <a05100300be6f408453f9_at_[192.168.1.2]> Paul Andrew King writes:

>>Yes, but.
>>
>>I think you're making a mistake in your understanding of how Lhankhor
>>Mhy and Issaries exist, at least within the Heortling culture, which
>>is the one we know best.
>
>As I said, I wasn't talking about recently conquered lands like
>Sartar - I'm talking about areas like Sylila, Tarsh and even the
>Provinces (and the Homeland for each lists Lunar religions in place
>of Issaries and Lhankhor Mhy).
>
>In my view the removal of Orlanth requires an aggressive campaign to
>spread Lunar ideals and civilisation (e.g money, literacy and
>bureaucracy). When Lunar Gods are more effective at dealing with the
>new realities, when their followers get preferential treatment, when
>they carry more prestige in the upper ranks of society - their
>worship will spread. While worship of the Solar deities will be less
>common I believe that they have a firmer and more secure position
>than Issaries or Lhankhor Mhy (until the Hero Wars change
>everything...).

There are Lunar missionaries who agree with you. There are others who argue that it is better to embrace all dieties who will accept the Lunar way. When you meet one of them you'll have to win the contest to convince them.

Of course the majority of Lunars don't know or care, they're too busy farming, courting or making money.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/