Re: concentrating common magic? Why?

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:36:48 -0500

I'm still catching up from a week or more away, but I'll give a shot at this.

On 25 Mar 2005 at 8:15, Nicholas Pagnucco wrote:

> I have a rather random question:
>
> Why would a player character concentrate common magic?
> I know its a rules option, but I don't really get it.
>
> From a rules point of view, your character is
> 'supposed' to become an initiate (or equivalence in
> the other types of magic), if not something more
> advanced. Concentrating common magic, even with the I
> am Not a Rock ritual, seems very... limited. Would
> any player, other than those who like a challenge /
> being masochistic to their character do this, and if
> so, why?

Lots of reasons. There are common magic religions, for instance. Then there is the fact that while most Sartarite's initate, that's the exception in the theist world. (As I understand it.) IMG, even the city heortlings (both Sartarite and Heortlanders) tend to be communal worshippers, not initiates.

Also IMG, I have a merchant who trades in magic. He wanted lots of little tricksy magic that was useful, he is a vicious pragmatist. So he has concentrate in common magic while still being a communal worshipper of the general storm pantheon.

LC