Re: Some clan herobands

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:39:55 -0000

> I have a somewhat tangential question. Just how many herobands is
a group
> likely to have, do you think? Maybe better put, what percentage of
groups
> have an associated heroband?

Remember "every group that has some sort of formal status (such as a clan, guild, family, or warband) has a magical guardian, and so acts as a heroband." Heroquest p. 92. So every Orlanthi who is not an outlaw belongs to at least one heroband (his or her clan) - and even some outlaws belong to herobands.

So amongst the Orlmarthing, I have the following "herobands": Orlmarthing clan
Six Bloodlines (each are their own heroband) Orane's Circle (Orlmarthing Ernalda Loom House) Woodpeckers (Orlmarthing clan warband and Orlanth Adventurous temple) Ridgeleapers (Orlmarthing raiders)
Storm Voices (Orlmarthing Thunderous priests and temple) Reaching Storm (independent heroband)
Alynx Brotherhood (independent warband)

And so on - there are probably a few more. Many Orlmarthing also belong to one of a number of tribal "herobands" such as the Clearwine Earth Temple, the household of the Colymar king, Tarndisi's Talkers, and so on. At least one clan, the Anmangarn or Black Spear Clan, began as a tribal "heroband". There are also independent herobands operating in Colymarlands - such as the Temple of the Wooden Sword,

> Because herobands, if common, would seem to me to make for a lot
of
> interesting social pressures. I mean, we hear about intra-clan
politics a
> lot, but how much of that is affected by heroband affiliations?

Given that each clan, each warband, each temple, and so on is its own heroband - I'd say a lot of it is affected by heroband affiliations. In my own campaign, the Dogkillers faction is affiliated with the Ridgeleaper heroband and the Peaceweavers faction is affiliated with the Orane's Circle heroband. These factions have opposing goals - the Peaceweavers want the Heortling clans at peace so that they can unite against the Lunars, the Dogkillers want to feud with the Greydogs.

> So, thoughts on this? Not just for Orlanthi, but for Gloranthan's
in
> general? Do people generally max out on their time committments in
joining
> organizations like herobands, or do most have some "freetime?" Are
herobands
> like ones to do with clan affiliations assumed?

Let's take a sample Orlmarthing player character - Jorator Maniskisson. He is a member of the clan (10%), a member of the Varsmaring bloodline (10%), a Woodpecker (10%), the Reaching Storm (10%), an initiate of Orlanth Allfather (30%) and Issaries (20%). His remaining time is spent doting on his wife and children, or dabbling in tribal affairs.

Here's another player character - Korlmhy Orlgardsson. He is a member of the clan (10%), a member of the Varsmaring bloodline (10%),the Reaching Storm (10%) and the Mountain Gale (10%), a devotee of Orlanth Thunderous (60%). Maxed out with his time.

Does that help at all?

Jeff