Re: Bloodlines and Factions of the Orlmarthing

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:31:19 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

Jeff has seen some of my Red Cow notes, when they come out more publically then I guess some of the sources of these become clearer. Thunder Rebels (I think) states that every Heortling is a member of at least three communities: clan, cult, professional association and suggests that these three all have wyters (guardian beings). For warriors that 'professional group' will probably be the warband, but non-warriors should also get their own equivalent (bands of carpenters and groups associated with ploughing a group of fields are mentioned IIRC).

So in Red Cow I identify a number of bands that folks could belong too, often professional associations.

I also treat the stead as an additional community with a 'guardian being'. Most are not that powerful, but can be a useful aid in times of trouble.

Having a guardian is important if you want to provide community support. I suspect that any group that wants to work 'community' magics will have an associated band.

Some people will have allegiances to more that three, but I think that is the average.

In addition communities will tend to have relationships with local landscape entities.

Ian Cooper