Re: Herobands (was Bloodlines and Factions of the Orlmarthing)

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:23:09 -0700 (PDT)

> (Jeff) Part of the problem is the word "heroband" -
it sounds like something unusual, when really it is just shorthand for "group with a guardian entity". Most "herobands" are not very powerful, of course.

        If heroband is just a grandiose name for something much less imposing, then I begin to see more justification for a goodly number. It's too late now to change the term, I suspect, but if that's what was meant by it, then I wish another term had been invented.

        Of course, the whole idea of guardian spirits is a rather loose one. There's a whole gradation from simple propitiation of a spirit of place (say, of the local grove or stream) so that it doesn't withhold its benefits or, worse, curse you, to actively beseeching it for benefits, to doing this in groups (the heroband), to having an actual moveable spirit that you can take wherever you wish (e.g. the Wooden Sword).

        Those who wish the heroband term to mean just that (which admittedly isn't borne out by some of the published examples) will have to be selective in what they call a heroband. The greatest priests and priestesses in the tribe, united to perform a series of important rites; they probably merit this term. Likewise a group of warriors who are called upon to lead and inspire the tribe (or clan) in battle, and have a collective identity that is focussed around their guardian banner, like the Woodpeckers.

        Does a group of farmers need a wyter for their ploughing? I don't think so. Worship Barntar, and that's where your ploughing magic will come from.

        Where I really don't think you get anything requiring a wyter is the group of five or six who've been pals since forever. They may be lifelong friends, but wouldn't have a guardian spirit unless something very special happened to them. Of course, when it does, then they've become adventurers! ;-)

Alison

Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/