Re: Unhero Bands

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:00:05 +0100

Roderick:

>Well, remember that your characters in the game are called "Heroes", not
>"PCs", "Adventurers", etc.. thus, a heroband can be read as "a bunch of guys
>that hang out and have adventures together". But "Heroband" sounds better
>(and takes less space to type) than "a bunch of guys that hang out and have
>adventures together".

And, on this, I suspect everyone agrees. Many hero bands will belong to that particular subset. What probably wasn't clear to many people, though, is that a 'hero band' can *also* be 'a cohesive band that includes no-one who could possibly be described as a hero by any stretch of the imagination'. The hero band consisting of a bunch of people who have adventures is the commonest sort to be focus of games, and, almost by definition, is the sort that player Heroes are most likely to belong to. But it isn't the only sort, as MoLaD shows. Geo's in MoLaD is pretty mundane - its just a pub, after all - but there exist many instances in Glorantha even more mundane than that. When you realise that, game mechanically, a typical peasant village could well be a 'hero band', it becomes clearer that the term is a much broader one than the terminology implies.

Now, I knew that, and Ian Cooper obviously knew that, and so did some other people. But it looks like a number didn't, and thinking about it, I can certainly see why!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic