Re: Hero Points (was Re: Fiends and Cacodemon)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:21:16 -0700

Mark

>In our gaming group, we tend to burn through most carrying out
>ridicously over-
>the-top heroics

In ours, they seem to be burned to make up for bad dice luck (and over-the-top heroics are too dangerous because you could have bad dice luck that makes them too risky).

>A purely unscientific estimate is
>that about 20% of HP earned in our group and spent on advancement. What
>kind of ratios do other groups have?

Both our Narrators have adopted the policy of directed improvements -- HP that you have to spend on improving an ability (often one that stood out but wouldn't necessarily go up by player design). In the last session, 20% went this way, and since it wasn't a high-action session, most of the others probably went to character improvement too.

Over time, Stewart's 50/50 probably reflects things, though it might be closer to 60% improvement.

>A fair, but not huge HP gain (1 at the beginning of a longish
>session, with 1 to 2 for goal oriented rewards

We always give 2 at the start (the rules say 1 to 5). The HP at the end vary (the rules say 1 to 5).

--

David Dunham