Re: Hero Points

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:57:33 -0000

I prefer the HP for advancement PLUS HP for use in game, and I'll tell you why.....

At a demo recently a guy said to me that the HQ character development system favoured those who sat back and took no risks. Who remembers the fabulous 'Tales article about who is more an example of Humakt in the mundane plane - the guy who hoards his Rune Magic or the guy who 'Casts 'em if he's got 'em!' (The latter IMO)

But this is HQ. I want my players to have the same opportunities in game. Some gals throw away HP like confetti, some guys hoard them and only spend them on advancement. I think most of us fall somewhere in between. Still, I don't want to penalise the heroic. That is why IMG I always state that a player may never spend more than 3 HP. I also think this emphasises the game element of the RPG experience, which I like. The judicious use of HP in game I like to see. When HP is spent I like to see the player have an internal debate at to whether the spend is *really* worth it.

Just my 2 wheels worth!

Regards
Rob