Re: Raiding for Hostages

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:22:39 -0700

Alison

>what I really wanted to comment on was the
>lengths you're going to to get Ferdie back. When
>all's said and done, they pulled a successful cattle
>raid on you. How did you justify upping the
>retaliation to a kidnapping?

Although Ferdinand has developed into a clan treasure (a la Blacktail the Bull in the King of Dragon Pass computer game), he is a follower written on a character sheet. I can't speak for the Narrator, but I always view followers or items the player has invested HP in as somewhat sacred. Yes, I can steal them, but the player always needs to be able to get them back.

(Another factor is that we were broke, thanks to the Lunar tribute, and hope to get a lot of ransom. And you'll note that we took pains not to shed any blood -- kidnapping was a very restrained retaliation.)

>Some of the women should have stopped you in your tracks!

I too was delighted to be able to use Disrespectful of Authority in the climactic contest (augmented by all sorts of combat abilities). Not only was this a great minimax (since I wasn't going to be able to use most of my combat augments in a non-lethal situation), but my character has always taken to "no one can make you do anything" since hearing her first Bad King Urgrain story (well, probably since she was 2 years old and learned the word "no"). It's really great to have a game system where the default option ("violence is always an option") doesn't really work, but staying true to your core personality does.

In short, no Greydog boss woman was going to stop Brenna!

--

David Dunham