Re: Hero Points

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:06:23 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Mark Galeotti"
> Leaving aside the saga-style play, where
> each adventure may be the highpoint of a
> year's normal activity, I suppose I do
> feel that progression in play sometimes
> seems rather hectic.
> . . .
> Obviously, this is a game. But thinking about
> the films, TV programmes and above all
> literature from which we get most of our
> tropes, they seem to break into three
> broad categories as advancement goes:
>
> (a) the serial, where there may well be major
> in-episode upsets, but broadly speaking, there
> is little major episode-on-episode development.
> Captain Kirk in episode one is younger than he
> was in the last one he played, but not
> especially better.

How about Buffy and Angel? They both have major character obtaining new abilities, training up existing abilities, gaining and resolving character flaws, obtaining followers and sidekicks, and maintaining relationships. I can't really think of any others, so maybe the are exceptions.

The show 24 has some of that, but the character development happens off-screen between seasons. The characters come back with new positions, relationships, etc.

Chris Lemens

(Not an ad: If you have a little extra money to donate to a good cause, check out http://www.modestneeds.org/.)

Do You Yahoo!?