Re: Hero Points

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:17:44 -0000

> How about Buffy and Angel? They both have major
> character obtaining new abilities, training up
> existing abilities, gaining and resolving character
> flaws, obtaining followers and sidekicks, and
> maintaining relationships. I can't really think of
> any others, so maybe the are exceptions.
>
> The show 24 has some of that, but the character
> development happens off-screen between seasons. The
> characters come back with new positions,
> relationships, etc.

In technical terms, that's a series, not a serial ;-p

I did say that there were three approaches: Buffy IMO fits model (b), while from the sound of it (let me come clean: I have watched very few Buffies and no 24s) 24 counts as a (c). These three -- broad -- approaches were meant to cover the whole gamut of media. There are book series in which advancement is minimal and fit into (a), for example.

All the best

Mark