RE: Re: Hero Points

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:31:44 -0500

I think that this is one of those places where comparing RPGs to other forms of media leads to bad conclusions. No, typically it's really not a big deal in most stories whether or not people become better at things. RPGs are just different this way. They allow us to follow a character in a more personal, almost "real life" sort of way. So I think that development is part of that fun. Whether or not it matches anything else.

In any case, another POV, too, is that "development" of ability ratings to higher ones doesn't really so much represent in-game improvements, as just more player power in the areas in question. The character doesn't get any stronger in one day...he's just either doing better with what he has (he always was "stronger than the ability rating denoted" and just couldn't use it), or he's the same strong, but just doing better with the little he has. Think of it as a metagame +1 to the die roll instead of actually getting stronger.

(This seems odd to people, but I'd rather not go into it if I can avoid it)

Mike