Re: Re: Hero Points

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:16:57 +0300 (EEST)

I apologize if this is compleatly heretical, but do you people really model your games after TV-shows and movies?

Many people seem to have issues about HQ having very fast character development. This is not a problem with HQ alone, but with most roleplaying systems in general.

Actually the only exception I know is H�rnmaster (a d100 system, somewhat like RQ), where you get a _chanse_ to advance 1% in a skill when you roll a critical success using it. Slow and feels realistic.

The secret why H�rnmaster works is that the craracters start out quite competent in their fields.

HQ, by the book, is pretty much rooted in the D&D tradition of character growth. I suppose Saga play (or at least handling experience like in a saga) will serve those who want realism in this aspect of the game.

For what it's worth, I mostly see little cause of character improvement day-by-day. Change and growth is slow,

        -Adept