RE: Re: Orlanth cares

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:34:50 -0000

> Or if that's difficult to imagine, think of society grouped around
> Football Teams. Or Ice Hockey Teams. Your neighbours, because they
> support different teams, they are filth. When they get beaten by
> strange cheating foreigners, it can be a cause for celebration.

Aha, but its funny the way that nationality can be a bit flexible in this regard. In British TV commentary, if the Scots are losing the scots are losing, but if the scots are winning then the british are winning. Also, its fairly common for british teams which "hate" each other to unit if one of them is playing a european (horror!) team.

I think the footie team analogy is right on. The injunction against kinstrife I would consider equivalent to "within this supporters group". Opposing other groups is not kinstrife, just natural. However, identification with Orlanthi society as a whole by contrast with another whole also works, but is a conscious laying down of personal/clan/tribal issues to confront the evil auslander.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that many hearts are gladdened when Man U. takes a beating at anyones hand. Thats fractious tribal politics for you.