Getting Information From NPCs

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 05:18:18 -0000

Here's a short email I recently sent my players. I thought this might be of interest on how to use NPCs as sources of information - both sacred and mundane.

Gang -

I think it is worth mentioning that you have access to several tremendous sources of information in the NPCs. Just ask them a question and they can probably tell you a lot of useful stuff.

For instance:

Yerestra Kingswidow knows many secrets of the House of Sartar and has an uncanny ability to ferret out the secrets of others.

Enika Mistress-of-Tales knows the lineage, qualities and character of many of the men and women of the Colymar clans – there are few such secrets that she does not know.

Willandring the Priest knows all the Thunderer's myths and stories.

Morganeth White-Eye wrested the magical secrets of the clan from the ancestors and has visions of the coming Hero Wars.

Harnafel Runemaker has carefully watched the night skies from the Cinder Pits since he wrested away the Bright Spear at Thrinbarri Clouds – he performs rituals to block the Sky Tribe's attempt to return.

Ranulf Wordsmith knows many versions of the Ten Stories (the Lightbringers' Quest, Harmast's Saga, 'Nalda's Blessings, The Wooing of Ernalda, What Eurmal Did Next, Heort's Saga, The Triumph of Tarkalor, Sartar's Road, and The Saga of House Vinga) and other stories including the Chant of the Storm Princes and the Vingkotling Saga.

Feel free and ask questions of these NPCs - they might be able to provide you with a lot of information. If you want to know stuff that I haven't told you - ask them. You might be surprised how much they know!

Jeff