Re: Re: Orlanth cares

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:08:03 -0500

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Jeff Kyer:
>
> >They are not _your_ kin. You're thinking like a nationalist here.
> >Think clan or tribal.
>
> Or if that's difficult to imagine, think of society grouped around
> Football Teams. Or Ice Hockey Teams. Your neighbours, because they
> support different teams, they are filth. When they get beaten by
> strange cheating foreigners, it can be a cause for celebration.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

That's an excellent analogy -- particularly in the respect to the almost tribal reverence teams like Arsenal invoke in generations of fans.... Or hockey -- Most Canadians vividly remember "The Game" (that's how its referred here) in the Canada/USSR series back in '76. We won. Barely. Best kind of victory. A sort of Canuck "I Fought We Won."

Which reminds me, just what _has_ God got against the Chicago Cubs?

Jeff