Re: Flaw or not? (was Raiding for Hostages)

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 20:00:34 +0100

Silburn, Luke wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned all abilities can be flaws (and vice versa) depending upon context

I'd say that was a path to pissing-off your players, by being deaf to the nuances of the character generation system. If a player chooses an ability for their character, and especially if they have spent points on it, it is as if the player is declaring 'this is an aspect of my character that I consider to be an important part of how *I* want my character to change the game world'. If the player *wanted* to create a character who's disrespect for authority got them into trouble, they could have chosen 'Disrespectful of Authority (flaw)'. They they did not should be significant. The narrator gets to control all the NPCs; let the players control their characters.