Re: Digest Number 2092

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 07:50:45 -0000

Light Castle:
> That's interesting. I hadn't realized Broyan, being the
> traditionalist he is, had limited his claim to the Hendreiki.
> How are they defined? (in his eyes) Who does he include?

High King of the Hendr(e)iki used to mean High King over the four tribes of Heortland, to wit Volsaxar, Jondalaring, Hurlant and Esvulari. I suppose that Broyan has all of these people on his "to do" list once Orlanth is properly reestablished.

> It does make his comment to Rikard about needing New Malkonwal
> shown to him all the more amusing, though. (Since this means
> Broyan was not claiming to be King of a Land, but of a People.)

Even more so since being King of a Land means more of a priesthood role than leader of a People, something quite alien to Rikard (unless he had a hidden Likiti strain, making him a prime candidate to undergo Rokari inquisition procedures). The King of the Land is the ritual husband of the Earth Queen.

Bandal Tigerbane could probably be best described as King _in_ Heortland. Probably a lot less useless than Temertain in Sartar, probably more deeply involved in Imperial collaboration for his own gain (and that of his followers).

I think that he might perform the role of the king as judge and travel the land with an entourage of followers and Imperial super/advisors to settle judicial conflicts part of the time.

Does anyone know or have an amusing theory how he came to the epithet "Tigerbane"? To my knowledge, in 1620 Rikard was taken prisoner in a battle against Fazzur, was offered the crown of Heortland (rather than "New Malkonwal") as a Lunar puppet, declined and somehow disappeared from view.