Re: Common Magic and Concentration

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:42:11 -0700

> I have what is probably a FAQ, but...

I've seen variations on it often enough, but we haven't actually aded it to the FAQ...

> When a character concentrates on thiesim,
> do they lose thier 'Flesh Man' Talents,
> as being 'Not Thiesm',

Yes.

> or are these Thiestic Common Magic?

No. They are the common magic of the Heortlings.

Several homelands have common magics that are quite different from the "normal" magic of the people, usually because it was taught to them when their normal magic was unavailable - so the Flesh man talents are useful when theistic magic is gone - originally this was during the Great Darkness when all the gods were in hell, but it is particularly useful during Fimbulwinter... The Survival Tricks of the Bison Riders; the People Talents of Dara Happa; Innocent and Guilty magics of the Grazers; Our Old Magic and Good Old Religion of Tarsh are all pure-Talent Common Magic, and not compatible with their respective specialized religions. Vaious other homelands have mixed common magic, that provides combinations of types of magic - when they concentrate, they will lose all Common magic that doesn't fit their "type" - so, for example, an Esvularan who picks up a smattering of magics from the Unknown God Church (page 44 - provides a variety of feats, charms and spells) will lose the feats and charms, but keep the spells, if he decides to concentrate in sorcery.

> I have been reading 'Flesh Man' as Thiesm magic,
> but I am not sure.
> Am I going off on a tangent to everyone else?

You are. "Talent", "Feat", "Charm" and "Spell" have specific meaning in common magic and its relationship to a concentrated magical system.

RR
- Richelieu