Re: Re: Speaking of Magic n' Stuff...

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:59:41 GMT

---Tony Davis wrote:

> I've written up an Aeolian apostate who was kicked out
> of his church, traded some of his apprentice common
> magick to the No God Church and went on walkabout. I
> can't see any reason that he wouldn't be able to pull
> it off, except perhaps that no one will ever talk to
> him again.

I wouldn't underestimate the 'no one will talk to him ever again effect'. To the modern mind it's no big deal, you can always find a group who don't know/care and join them. To the monotheist churches he'll be worse than those pagans who are merely ignorant. If people believe that their chances of going to solace will be damaged by associating with him he's going to be refused shelter and food even if he has the means to pay for them. Even other cultures will look at him dubiously when they discover his background. Typical Orlanthi reaction - "Kicked out of a church of wizards? - sorcerer, burn him!"

I guess the Lunars might be happy to recruit him, but they'll take anybody.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/