Re: Re: Humakt

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:54:18 +0000

Thom Baguley wrote:

> > From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
> >Psychopaths are extreme emotional extroverts who do not feel that
> >society's rules (or indeed, any kind of rules) need apply to them.
> Without getting technical, I don't think psychopaths can be described as
> "extreme emotional extroverts".The usual definition is of someone with no
> social conscience or moral empathy.

> The short-hand "psycho" seems to come from the term psychotic - someone out
> of touch with reality.
>
> Humakti could be psychopaths - following their code not out of a moral or
> social sense, but purely out of duty.

So, someone with a personal moral code can still be a psychopath. As Thom is an academic psychologist, I stand corrected!

I don't understand you distinction between 'social sense' and 'duty'. Isn't 'duty' a socially imposed norm? And isn't 'morality' too?

Is a Humakti's 'honour' related to having a social conscience?

Would it be true to say that members of ANY cult could be psychopaths?