Freedom was Re: Larnsti Brotherhood

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:42:26 -0000

> > > Of course, most of our conversation focused on the difference
> > > between the Hendreiki and the Heortlendings.
> > I'll bite: What is the difference between the Hendreiki and the
> > Heortlaendings?

The key difference is that post-Andrin kings of Heortland are kings of a place, not a people. The Hendreiki are a people, not a place. The High King of Heortland also claims to be the High King of the Hendreiki, although the Volsaxi have long rejected that claim (however, until Broyan, none of their kings have been able to claim to title of High King of the Hendreiki).

> And why "of course"?

Because most of my Gloranthan discussions with Greg are about the history of the Heortlings. Heortland has long been an embarassing "Blank Land" - which has allowed people to fill it with the Aeolians (really, they are just in the cities and in the south) or otherwise ignore the core Heortling land of the Third Age (they didn't stop being Heortlings with the Resettlement).

Beginning in 1617, Heortland goes through a tremendous amount of turmoil. King Orngerin dies without an obvious successor and Rikard the Tigerheart and his Seshnegi took over southern Heortland and proclaimed it the "kingdom of Malkonwal". Broyan of the Volsaxi used that vacancy as an opportunity to be crowned High King of the Hendreiki by the remnants of the old Larnsti Brotherhood. Meanwhile at about the same time, an huge eruption of scorpion men from the Print controlled by Queen Gagix Twobarb (between 5,000 and 15,000 scorpion men at the height of the Queendom of Jab) devastates Gardufar - the traditional core of Heortland. After the central Heortlendings are exhausted beating back the worst of the chaos invasion, the northern Heortlendings (the Volsaxi and those loyal to the High King of the Hendreiki) and southern Heortlendings (the Esvulari and those loyal to the King of Malkonwal) are too weak and too disunited to put up much resistance to the Lunar invasion in 1619-1620.

Jeff