Re: Re: Orlanth cares

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:41:38 +0100

Jeff Kyer answering me :

> > However, such religious cults and political organisations share deep links,
> > and in most cases a political action and a religious action will
> > actually combine into one single action.
>
> Not really, I fear that the Orlanthi are far more simple than that.

I don't understand : what's so complicated about what I wrote ?

> The Clan and to a less extent Tribe are the main concern.

Both of which have overlapping political and a religious aspects, right ?

> Only with Sartar did we start to see anything more collective in Dragon
> Pass

Oh, I see : No, I'm not saying that there is a United Clans of Sartar that functions as the USA does.

> > Political organisations and religious ones have it in common that all
> > create "circles of exclusion", defining for instance who is kin and
> > who is non-kin.
>
> Kin is who you live with and who helps you to live. Not too complex,
> that.

Right : a "circle of exclusion". Simple.

> Just because some wierd god-talker who has clearly been up on the
> mountain top tells me I should think of all the tribes of Sartar as kin,
> doesnt mean we're goingg to listen to him. He's clearly mad.

OK, but are we going to listen to the holy god-talker of our clan's wyter talking war, despite what those foolish Elk people say about him ? I say YES !! And let's ram those sayings up their ... (etc)

> > A fairly crude model admittedly, and it should be remembered that
> > Heortlings multiply these various spheres quite bewilderingly
> > (there are many many clans, and many many cults,
> > and many many many overlapping circles of exclusion).
>
> ...at which point the analogy becomes less than useful for day to day
> living and surviving in Dragon Pass. And more practical rules used.

It isn't an analogy : it is a practical rule.

> > One important difference though with RW schemes is that
> > Gloranthan otherworld entities (such as Orlanth) are
> > self-evidently manifest in the cosmogony of the world :
> > ie in Glorantha "outside the political, inside the religious"
> > is a fully discrete possibility, which in RW is a
> > debatable one (depending on one's beliefs).
>
> Its actually _harder_ to have faith in a god when he continually
> manifests and then gives you powers in exchange for sacrifice...

And ... ?

Julian Lord