RE: Re: Larnsti Brotherhood

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:21:34 GMT

In message <20050606224156.QSTA29707.aamta11-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> It's an augment to your reading ability,
>
>What reading ability? The whole point of this is that it's being used by
>someone who doesn't have one!

I'd say the point is to help people learn to read. Someone who has absolutely no reading ability can only use it if they concentrate.

>> >To start with, you get someone in Glorantha to explain to you in
>> >their terms what the difference is between using an ability directly
>> >and using it as augment-only. If they use the phrase "rules-construct",
>> >kill them, they're a God Learner. After that, I'm sure it's easy.
>>
>> Young Orlanthi Initiate: Why can't I get Orlanth to help me directly
>> instead of the little power he gives me with my tattoo?
>
>Which is nice, but does not distinguish between "direct" and "augment", only
>between "feeble" and "powerful".

You wanted it in the words a Gloranthan would use, I don't think they would use "direct" or "augment" although that's implicit in the priest's answer.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/